The word meditation can conjure up all sorts of images, often fairly negative wishy washy woo woo spiritual/.religious nonsense.
It is also more often than not completely misunderstood, ask anyone what they think it is and i guarantee 99% of people will say “stopping your thoughts”
This could not be farther from the truth, i guess you could say “stopping your thoughts controlling you” this would be more accurate, but its a vast area of study that just ten minutes a day practice can have a profound effect on your daily life and those around you.
Heres my list of meditation apps and podcasts to help you navigate a fascinating area.
So many great guided meditation apps available now, i’m going to list three and my reason for this will hopefully make sense. But ultimately, experiment, try a few and find one that resonates with you.
- Headspace. Quite possibly the most recommended guided app out there and for good reason. I recommend this app to my business clients and those with a no nonsense approach to life, no fluff, clear almost clinical approach to meditation. I have used this for many years and recommended it to many people. FREE TRIAL INCLUDED
- Waking Up. Here we have Sam Harris, a PHD in neuroscience and a serious meditator. Having sat 6 month long silent retreats and trained with some highly developed people he has a foot in both worlds and translates it wonderfully. He mixes various styles of meditation, its alike the MMA of meditation FREE TRIAL INCLUDED
- 10% Happier. Here we have a collection of teachers from various styles all on one app, Something for everyone here.
Podcasts for insights and conversations
I find listening to newbies and the advanced meditators helps me navigate the meditation realm easier, clearing up confusion and gaining insights that really help.
All the above apps have various podcast and interviews built into them, heres a few others i listen to and they are all FREE
- Ram Dass here and now, if you don’t know who Ram Dass is, have fun finding out. Not what most expect.
- Be here now network. Simply go here for dozens of amazing podcasts from wonderful teachers
- Tara Brach. fantastic free podcasts, meditations and some great books written
I will add a list of recommended reading soon, but above is enough to find yourself in for the next few decades.
Have fun, don’t take yourself too seriously and remember The Revolution Is Internal